Hobbies and passion

The key to becoming a better writer is to write a lot. Before worrying about tone and potential audience, one must first get into the habit of putting thoughts on paper, preferably increasingly coherent and organized. Let this be the first entry in my goal to write at least two blog posts a week.

-----

I had a conversation with a friend the other day, and he expressed surprise at the fact that I chose a career that didn't have anything to do with art or drawing. I've thought about this before, and the honest answer is that I'm not good enough. That said, even if I were, I don't have the passion.

You see, that's the difference between a hobby and a passion. A hobby is a form of escapism, something you do that distracts you from an otherwise boring life; something that makes you feel like you made a good use of your free time, that you can look forward to after work. In other words, it's something that's best when contrasted with something boring - but if you were to do it every day, and subject to many restrictions, then you might feel differently. I like to play basketball. But that's partly because I don't have to hit the gym when I'm feeling tired, or control my diet religiously to keep my body fat low, or push myself to the limits every day when my body's screaming at me to stop. I think most hobbies are like this - you'd cease to enjoy them if that's all you did, and so it is with me and drawing.

A passion, on the other hand, is something that gets you out of bed in the morning. It's something that you could do night in and night out, something that you'd be happy to pay to do. Most people don't really have a passion, just a lot of hobbies. If you have a passion, don't waste it - consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

Comments