"We Are The One" - First BABYMETAL Concert in Japan


Yes, it's funnytoss, back with a post-show word salad that's way too long!

Like many others, I learned about BABYMETAL through reaction videos. My pathway happened to be through the "BABYMETAL Reacts" video on YouTube, but - no offense to the songs featured - I thought it was fun and cute, but ultimately just another wacky Japanese gimmick that probably already fizzled out, and I dismissed them from my mind.

Thankfully, the Fox God saw fit to have the YouTube algorithm recommend the video to me again a few months later, and this time, I was curious enough to look up the full songs, and see what else was out there. I chuckled at seeing the full version of "Doki Doki ☆ Morning", but then "Megitsune" made me sit up straight in my chair immediately, as I realized "hold on a minute, there's more depth to this group than I thought", followed by the "KARATE" music video. Then it was "Road of Resistance Live in Japan", and upon seeing that massive venue filled with people chanting in unison, I was hooked forever, knowing that I had to make it to one of those massive concerts someday.

4 long years and a global pandemic later, I found myself in Yokohama, ready for my very first BABYMETAL concert in Japan, celebrating the freshly coronated MOMOMETAL's birthday. I had been lucky enough to see them for the first time in my home country the year before at a small venue, which was a wonderfully mind-blowing experience that I wrote about here. And of course, I'd watched and re-watched the Blu-rays countless times, but - and yes, this is a cliche, but it's absolutely true - nothing really prepares you for the "Legend" concert experience in Japan.

Similar to my very first show, the thing that struck me (as a fan that has spent way too much time learning about them through interviews and videos and talking in fan communities) was that "you might think you know, but you don't". There are just so many things you feel and can't put into words very well, but I'll give it my best shot.

In normal life, you're weird - here you're accepted and celebrated

As a straight guy with a fair number of LGBT friends, I've been to a non-zero number of gay pride events and parades, and from what I've observed and been told, a big part of the appeal is being in a place of (more-or-less) total acceptance for at least a day or a few hours, where you can not only be yourself without feeling judged, but be *proud* of being yourself. That unfortunately isn't really an option for many people in most of the world. It's not that gay people are all "flaming" like is typically seen in pride parades, but there can be something very liberating about seeing others completely liberated even if you yourself don't roll that way.

Now, my intention obviously isn't to compare being a BABYMETAL fan to being part of a historically marginalized group that still faces much societal and legal discrimination in most societies. However, as we all gathered from around the world at Yokohama Arena, I felt like something clicked in my mind and it all seemed to make sense.

Let's be honest - there's a difference between "someone who likes BABYMETAL and will check them out when they come to tour in your city", and a "hardcore BABYMETAL fan". Those of us in the latter group are typically (understandably) seen as "weirdos" by normal people. It's probably slightly better now in 2024 compared to when they were younger and accusations of pedophilia were tossed around more readily, but I think it's fair to say that nowadays, even if you're lucky enough to have friends and family that understands and supports your participation in this cult, most people understandably don't "get it". At best, they might think the girls are cute, the music is cool, and the effects are impressive, but they don't understand why you would be willing to fly halfway around the world to see them, line up half a day before the show starts, or spend your own hard-earned money making fan gifts to give away for free.

But come to a Legend show in Japan, and you understand. These are *your* people. Here, you're the weird one if you *aren't* wearing a BABYMETAL T-shirt. Normally, you can only vibe about the group online with faceless avatars, but here, everyone gets it; you have a shared history and don't have to explain everything from scratch as your bemused friends smile politely and wait to change the subject. It's a rare opportunity for you to be your BABYMETAL-loving-self and be fully accepted for it, and it's a very unique and comfortable feeling.


The video above captures the feeling and atmosphere really well - definitely check it out! While most of us would probably feel judged in a "normal" place for celebrating in this way, at the show this is exactly the right thing to do. Now of course, not everyone is such a "hardcore" fan; there were plenty of "normal" fans that didn't go around handing out fan merch or participate in chants and all that, and were just there to buy a shirt or towel and cheer from the seats. That's totally cool too! But the main thing is, this is a special place where you have the *option* to let it all out for a day or two if you want, and we most certainly did.

Fan Artist Corner

As someone who draws and enjoys BABYMETAL fanart, one of the most amazing things about a show in Japan is the opportunity to meet other fan artists in person. Obviously, most people can't afford to travel internationally, so - and I know this is a big surprise - you're statistically much more likely to meet Japanese artists in Japan. I prepared 100 pieces of my own art for gift exchange, but it wasn't even close to enough!

We basically set up an "artists's corner" where people would gather to exchange homemade gifts and also hand them out freely to any other fans passing by. I got to meet so many of the amazing artists that I had been following online for years, and show my appreciation. It was nice that they all appeared equally happy to meet me, as a non-zero number of them had been following my artwork as well!

(example of fan gifts received at Legend MM)

The Group Photo

On both afternoons before the show, we took a large group photo, and... well, it wasn't just a passive photo, it felt like a cheering squad! I hadn't known this beforehand, but there was a standard "call and response" that everyone knew, and most of us would pick up quickly as well, as the "coordinator" would call out each member (past and present) and we'd respond with their catchphrase as we took each photo.

So for example, Moa's was from her Sakura Gakuin days, where the call would be "最も愛を/ mottomo ai o" and we'd respond "大切に / taisetsu ni!" It was literally my first time participating, yet I somehow knew exactly what to say. As I felt from the early morning as we all began to gather at the venue way before doors opened, there was a sense of being "in the family" despite meeting most of these people for the very first time.

Face-to-face

The vast majority of my BABYMETAL friends have been "online-only", so Legend MM was the first time placing faces and names and avatars together. Some of you were exactly like you were online, and some of you were very different! (generally for the better, haha)

And at the risk of repeating myself, there's just something so natural and liberating about being able to talk about your enjoyment of this group not through a smartphone or keyboard, but using words in person! After the show is over, we all go our separate ways and it may very well be a few years until we meet again, if ever. But now something's different. When you get in an argument, you're more willing to give each other the benefit of the doubt, because you realize that these are all people behind the usernames and text messages. And if we were all willing to extend a little bit of grace to each other when online, perhaps this world would be a better place.

And sure, you can definitely meet other friends at your local shows, but a Legend show in Japan is where you're most likely to meet the most people traveling from all over; my international friends I've made on Reddit or Discord or Twitter certainly aren't coming to one of our small shows in Taiwan!

(though ironically, I didn't actually meet up with most of my Taiwan BABYMETAL fans until this trip)

Cosplay

(the author with IYO-METAL and their amazing Metal Kingdom staff and Shisa mask!)

It bears repeating, but you see some pretty amazing cosplay in Japan compared to overseas, as it's a lot harder to lug around extensive costumes on a plane.

Now, I fully admit that I'm not immune to the charms of cute girls. But objectively speaking, I really do think there was a special endearing "idol charm" that the BABYMETAL cover groups I met all possessed. It's sort of hard to define what this specifically entails, but you know it when you see it; the difference between a pretty face wearing a costume, and an "amateur professional" (that probably makes more sense in my head). I can really appreciate the hard work that goes into building that kind of poise and grace, and in an alternative universe, these could have very well been the ladies we respect and admire so much, and I wish them the best.

(the author with the three lovely members of DIZZYMETAL)

The Concert Itself

Others more gifted with words than me have talked extensively about the setlist and the mindblowing Momobanger and how lovely it was to see a color other than red, white, or blue appear at a BABYMETAL show, so I'll leave that to them. So to wrap up a report that is already way too long, I'll conclude with two final points.

1) The production value is an experience in of itself. Yes, the massive screens and lights and lasers look really cool on video, but actually being there and finding yourself immersed in it, you gain a newfound respect for the stage crew that makes these things happen; they play an overlooked role in creating an otherworldly atmosphere that you can never 100% capture on film.

(Photographer: Takeshi Yao)

2) Fancams are deceiving. Of course, memories can be faulty, and we can often "remember" things as we perceive them rather than the "objective" reality. But I would strongly caution against jumping to conclusions regarding the quality of a performance based on fancam videos, because you can't really tell if what you're hearing is actually affected by the quality of the phone video/audio capture, or even lag from streaming or recording. As I watched several fancams of the Legend MM shows afterwards, I could distinctly observe several parts where the sound captured on tape was rather different than what it sounded like in person. In a fancam, I might hear Su's voice going offbeat, and sometimes sharp and then flat - yet having been at the venue during that exact moment, that just... didn't happen.

That isn't to say the live performances are perfect, of course! Mistakes happen, and that's part of the charm of a live show. Moa flicked Su in the neck during "Gimme Choco", which I'm fairly certain will be cut from the pro-shot, but we at the venue saw and enjoyed it. I distinctly remember Barone's drum solo during "Kagerou" being slightly offbeat, which I'm sure they will polish up in the Blu-ray.

But overall, I can say emphatically that the video experience has nothing on the live experience, and if you are privileged enough to have the opportunity, you have to see BABYMETAL in Japan, I promise it will be worthwhile.

All in all, 10/10, would do again.

Comments